From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I am 30 years old and experiencing my first pregnancy. I was tested for gestational diabetes at 35 weeks rather than 24-28 weeks. I have a family history of diabetes providing for a higher risk and am shocked I was tested so late. My first test scores were 75 and 190. My second, three hour test scores were 77, 223 and 175. (The last test was not given due to the high scores.) I am on a daily diabetic diet and am concerned with risks of finding out so late. I have four weeks to go and feel like I have no control of the outcome. I feel my doctor is not addressing my concerns and fears and is possibly covering up a mistake. Am I at a higher risk? Are there concerns to finding out so late? Should I be referred to a high risk doctor?

Your glucose test was done later than usual for reasons I do not know. The risk of congenital abnormalities in the fetus are no higher than in the general population. Your baby is at risk for excessive size. However, this cannot always be prevented even with a strict diet and the use of insulin. Therefore, I would suggest that you watch your diet closely and be sure your doctor is checking a fasting and 1 or 2 hour postprandial blood sugar each week. You do not necessarily have to be seen by a high risk specialist for the remainder of your care, but you may want to discuss this further with your doctor.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes