Question:

From Helena, Montana, USA:

I am 45 years old. I have Type 1 diabetes. I developed diabetes with my pregnancy 18 years ago. I currently take 22 units of NPH in the A.M. and 18 units of NPH in the P.M. I am a teacher, and my schedule begins at 7 A.M. and ends around 9 P.M. I experience severe reactions while sleeping, I am unable to wake up and my husband spends hours giving me juice, etc. to bring me around. I also have intermittent reactions at school. My blood sugars vary greatly (from 12 to 400) it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much physical activity I have. I find it difficult to sleep when I am alone for fear of these reactions. I no longer seem to have the "warning signals" of an oncoming reaction. The local medical community passes this off by telling me that, "You're diabetic." I would like to see a specialist, but I need to know who you recommend and who is nearest to Helena.

Answer:

First of all, your diabetes program needs revamping to match your lifestyle! Two shots of NPH are not in any way an appropriate program for someone with your schedule. Once you find a sympathetic physician, and get onto a more flexible program (probably either a basal-bolus program or an insulin pump), you'll do better and feel better. You'll also have other issues to address, such as hypoglycemic unawareness.

It's unfortunate that you have run into the attitude that "blames the victim." Whoever you've spoken to previously either (a) hasn't heard what you just told us or (b) needs to learn about diabetes before attempting to advise his/her patients, or (c) needs an attitude adjustment. See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints that should help you find a nearby specialist.

WWQ