Why will a Seagrams 7 and Diet Coke bring down my blood sugar, even after a full meal? This happens in the wee hours of the morning, after my insulin shots have worn off.

Alcohol shuts down the ability for the liver to produce glucose, so any low blood sugars for any reason will not be covered by the natural response of the liver, of making and releasing of glucose.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Alcohol shuts down the liver's ability to let go of the sugar it has stored in it for emergencies. Mixed with a diet soda pop, and no other simple sugars being eaten, you have no way to raise your blood glucose. If you used regular soda pop, you would probably not have a problem with a low blood sugar. But, please keep in mind alcohol also can cause fuzzy thinking, so you may not realize your blood glucose is low and then go to bed and sleep into a severe low blood glucose. So, please check your blood glucose before bed and see how you are doing.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia