Question:

From Bakersfield, California, USA:

We are in our first week of adjusting to my 7 year old's new diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. We are concerned about my 8 year old son and want to test him. My daughter has embraced the situation with courage and strength. My son fainted this morning when my daughter did her fingerstick. My wife believes I am being too hard on him trying to get him to test this soon. Do have any suggestions on how we should handle this situation?

Answer:

Siblings feel the stress and need to cope in their own way when a brother or sister is diagnosed with diabetes. The first few weeks are very difficult for everyone. Unless your son has symptoms of diabetes (increased thirst, increased urination, etc.), I wouldn't push him to check his blood sugar. Without symptoms, it is most unlikely that you would find a high blood sugar in a child. If he does have symptoms, then let your doctor know. I believe you will want to look into the Diabetes Prevention Trial and to read about the risks of diabetes in family members.

LM