From Bellevue, Washington, USA:

I just read a response to a question about "Stiff Hand Syndrome," in which the condition was possibly linked with Diabetes because of their common anti-GAD antibodies. I am confused. I didn't think Type 2 diabetics resulted from an autoimmune disorder. And if it is, then should I be concerned about other autoimmune developments?

I suffer from similar pain and stiffness as mentioned in the referenced question. I am 55 years old, and have had Type 2 for approximately 15 years. After a large dose of prednisone a year ago (to treat a severe asthma attack), I went from being a pill-controlled diabetic to insulin and pill-dependent diabetic.

Are the same processes at work in me, as a Type 2, as apply to Type 1's? Or are other mechanisms at work, with similar results (pain, immobility)?

And yes, I would like others with a similar condition to contact me.

Anti-GAD antibodies are found in Type 1A autoimmune diabetes and in most cases of the stiff man syndrome. This has been the reason for supposing that the latter condition also has an autoimmune basis. Type 2 Diabetes, however, is not an autoimmune condition and you therefore don't need to be concerned about any special vulnerability to this group of disorders. Nevertheless at 55, both Type 2 Diabetes and various forms of arthritis are common, and statistically it would not be surprising for them to occur together.