Question:

From Santa Clarita, California, USA:

Is there a difference between NPH and Lente insulin? I heard that Lente lasts just a little bit longer than NPH. (Note: I am not talking about Ultralente.)

Answer:

NPH and Lente are both "intermediate" acting insulins. Their time of action is very similar, though in some individuals Lente lasts slightly longer. The main difference in the two insulins is that different chemicals are added to Regular insulin to delay its onset of action and make it last longer.

NPH was developed first. Lente was developed with the hope that it would cause fewer problems with allergic reactions. In reality, most of the allergic reactions in the past were due to the impurities in the insulin which was extracted from beef and pork pancreases. Now that insulin is made synthetically, is identical to human insulin, and contains no animal impurities, allergy to either NPH or Lente is extremely rare. (This is also true for the pork insulins still on the market as extra purification steps are now included in the manufacturing process to remove the animal impurities.)