Question:

From Cairo, Egypt:

My son is 7 years old. He has been diagnosed since 3 1/2 years of age. His blood sugar is always fluctuating and his HA1c is always deteriorating. The last two tests were 9.1 and 10.2. He is on a three insulin shots per day.

I am inquiring if I can come to the United States to put him on the insulin pump. And If I do so and go back Egypt are there doctors recommended to check on it? Do you think the insulin pump could be a good solution?

Answer:

To achieve a good metabolic control in children is not an easy task, it's a real challenge. Before considering a pump approach in a 7 year old boy we in Sardinia would prefer to try to implement a more intensive insulin regimen with the support of an integrated pediatric team as it can often be done during a summer camp where children and their families share with other participants and the team different experiences and approaches. The newer devices, such as pens and new needles, can often permit to ask the child and his family to use 4 shots a day (plus extra when it needs) of Regular or lispro [Humalog®] before meals and NPH at bedtime. NPH can also be mixed with Regular before meals to better cover the between-meal intervals. You should discuss this with your team remembering that even if your son goes to an intensive multiple insulin-shot regimen or even a pump, this does not automatically mean good metabolic control. You need time and experience.

By the way, we don't have any children on pumps among our numerous children here in Sardinia.

Regarding your own country's diabetes facilities, personally I'm not aware of any pediatric diabetologist involved in pump therapy in Egypt. Decisions about the specifics of insulin doses and regimens are best discussed locally. Please also see previous answers at this websites about pumps.

[Editor's comment: You could check with your country's diabetes association or the nearest Medical School to find out which local pediatric endocrinologists might be using insulin pumps. WWQ]

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin Pumps