Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

I have a four year old that was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January of this year. I'm wondering if the hot summer weather has an effect on his blood glucose numbers--specifically, if he is exercising outside and it is hot, will the exercise have more of an effect than if the temperature had been moderate or cool outside? It seems like he is having more lows in the summer weather.

Answer:

Many children experience more lows in the summer because they are more active and we get more blood flow to the "outer edges" of our body in an attempt to keep us cool. That is why we "get red" when we get hot. All of this blood flow to our extremities can make the insulin absorb faster. If he continues to have lows at the same time, check with your doctor about reducing his dose.

JW

[Editor's comment: Our daughter Marissa always needs less insulin in the summer than she does in the winter. JSH]

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Hypoglycemia