Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I have a twelve year old daughter diagnosed with Type 1 this week. I am getting different opinions regarding meal planning. One physician says that carbohydrates are okay and that some sugar intake is acceptable. Another physician says the diet should be high in protein and no sugars allowed. What do I do?

Answer:

My advice to you is to find a dietitian who works with children with diabetes to help you develop a sensible meal plan that fits your child's eating patterns as closely as possible. Excluding all sugar from one's diet is difficult to do and is not necessary as long as moderation is followed and a system to incorporate some sugar is in place. Carbohydrate counting is such as system.

The goal of nutrition therapy in children with diabetes is to maintain normal growth and development while controlling blood sugars. Your child's needs will change with age and activity so advice along the way from a dietitian is always helpful.

JM