Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I am 29 and in my 28th week of pregnancy. My 1 hour glucose screening came back at 140. Base on your response to other questions submitted, it does not seem that I should be all that concern with a 140 reading. However, my doctor has scheduled me for the 3 hour GTT.

How much does stress contribute to high blood sugar level readings? The last month has been extremely stressful for me and I have not been sleeping well. By all indications everything else is normal. Diabetes is not in my family, so I am a bit concerned.

Answer:

The threshold value of blood glucose used to decide when to further test for diabetes is variable amongst physicians. I use a low cut-off of 135 mg/dl, but in the literature you may find values as high as 150 mg/dl. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends between 130 and 140 mg/dl. So you are just at the cut-off for testing but still should have the 3 hour test.

Stress may contribute to changes in blood sugar values but not in a long lasting manner. So the results of the test are probably accurate.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Stress