Question:

From Montreal, Quebec, Canada:

I am a 22 year old female. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 5 years old. I was once told that if I take the birth control pill that it should be the "mini pill" (progesterone, but not estrogen) because estrogen can increase my blood sugar levels. Is this true? What type of pill should be taken considering that the "mini pill" has a reduced contraceptive effect?

Answer:

Any of the lower estrogen containing pills would be fine to take. The progesterone only pills ("mini pill") are good forms of contraception since it is the progesterone that provides the contraception, not the estrogen. Depo-provera is another example of the use of only progesterone for contraception. The mild effect on blood glucose is manageable. You should speak further with your physician about specific pill choices.

Posted to Family Planning