Question:

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What is an acceptable blood glucose level for me to maintain? I am not taking insulin.

Answer:

Even though your diabetes is controlled by diet alone, it is important that you or your physician check your blood sugar values periodically. I usually recommend at least once a week check a fasting and a 1 hour after meal (usually breakfast) blood glucose. The fasting should be less than 105 mg/dl and the 1 hour should be less than 130 mg/dl.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Many diabetes doctors advise checking blood sugar more frequently than advised by Dr. Jones. The blood sugar will inevitably gradually climb as the pregnancy progresses, due to the increasing stress of the growing baby, and the decreased activity that many women experience. I've suggested to my patients with gestational diabetes that they check several times daily, after meals, and occasionally at other times, and that they learn how to give insulin shots, and have the insulin and supplies at home, so that if the blood sugar levels do climb to unacceptable levels, that they can be prepared to start insulin therapy on a moment's notice!

WWQ

Posted to Gestational Diabetes