Question:

From California, USA:

I have a 1 year old daughter who was just recently diagnosed with Type 1. She takes Humalog and NPH twice a day. I feel uncomfortable with the fact that the hospital discharged her with no real set dosages of insulin. In the past 3 days, she has had 2 reactions and several increased blood sugar levels. Is this normal?

Also, what would be good foods for a 1 year old who is still eating jarred baby food and some table foods? I'm having real problems trying to find foods with high protein levels that she is able to eat. Right now, all she gets is peanut butter or cheese and crackers.

Answer:

It sounds like you have not had the opportunity to visit with a dietitian who is familiar with children with diabetes. I would highly recommend finding a dietitian to help you get started. Meanwhile, by age one, eggs and cottage cheese, small bites of shredded turkey, chicken and beef may help. I also recommend you purchase a book called Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace which should help you a great deal. If you have not met with a diabetes team yet, I would suggest you find a good pediatric endocrinologist with a diabetes team to help you through the rough spots.

JM

[Editor's comment: You should call your daughter's Diabetes Team to get help adjusting her insulin dosages. JSH]