Question:

From California, USA:

My daughter, age 3.5, has had 2 night terrors since being diagnosed a few months ago. I'm wondering if it is at all related. She has never had problems with sleep until diabetes entered her little life.

Answer:

This is a common age for night terrors to develop even in children without diabetes. I would recommend however, checking her blood sugar when she has an episode to make sure a low blood sugar is not triggering a night terror. It is also possible that this is occurring as an adjustment reaction to the stress of being diagnosed with diabetes. I would make sure not to test her blood sugar while she is sleeping without waking her up first. Most likely, with time and reassurance, this will pass (or with avoidance of low blood sugars during sleep).