Question:

From California, USA:

My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 at age 1; she's now 4 years old. She has had a few seizures, most recently in the early morning hours this past week. She had not had one for six months. She goes into a fixed stare and is not aware of anyone present. During her last seizure she stopped breathing. Blood test at bedtime was acceptable. I'm wondering if MSG could have contributed to this seizure. She was examined yesterday and pronounced okay. Can you shed any light as to why seizures occur?

Answer:

The most important information you don't give: the blood sugar at the time of the seizures. I assume from what you say that she was hypo. Normal sugars at bedtime are, unfortunately, no guarantee against nocturnal hypos because they don't give any indication about whether the sugar is on the way up or down. You may get some clue from the activity of the evening which way it is likely to go and I would suggest an extra snack if the evening has been unusually active.

The other factor to consider is the timing and profile of the evening insulin. Her diabetes team needs to know about the seizures, and show them the blood monitoring records.

No, I don't think that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is involved.