Question:

From Boston, Massachusetts, USA:

I am 43, and have had diabetes for 29 years. Every time I've tried to start an exercise program, I get "rewarded" with a lot of low blood sugars, so I give up. I would love to attend a "camp" for adults with diabetes, where I would feel supported in my efforts and surrounded by professionals who can advise me in different situations. Is there such a place in the US where I could go for a couple of weeks or longer? I think I would need at least two weeks of putting what I'm learning into practice, while still being surrounded by professionals and a good support system. Any ideas?

Answer:

1. Look at our section about diabetes camps: if you use your webbrowser's search feature, you'll find at least one:

Camp Conrad-Chinnock is located in the San Bernadino Mountains near Los Angeles, California. They even have an adult camp!

2. Since you're in Boston, call Joslin Clinic, and ask them.

Let me know if you find a camp you'd really like to try!

WWQ

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Another idea is to go on a cruise with a diabetes team. I see these things advertised in Forecast or Diabetes Interviews every once in a while, but it sounds like fun. I do not know if it is so educational, but maybe others know of these adventures.

LSF

Posted to Exercise and Sports