From Kentucky, USA:

I am searching for information on diabetes and kidney problems. My husband has had diabetes for over 31 years. He is now 34 years old. His biggest fear of the disease is kidney failure. He is in good health and has never had any real complications from his diabetes but he worries about his kidneys most of all. I would like to find out what the early signs of kidney problems may be.

There really isn't much he'd notice: lab testing for microalbumin is critical to catch diabetic kidney disease early.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Although high blood pressure was not mentioned, if he has this problem he needs to bring it under control since high blood pressure affects the kidneys. I also assume he does not smoke since if he does, his risk of kidney disease is greatly increased.