I found out only a week ago that I am diabetic, and my doctor gave me some diabetes pills to try out for a week, and it has had the strangest side affect in that it seems to have cured my nearsightedness. I have been terribly nearsighted for more than 20 years, but not diabetic (I was repeatedly tested, because of a history in my family). Ever hear of anything like this?

I'm not too surprised at your observation. Any therapy that would improve your blood sugar level may result in change in your vision.

High blood sugars can result in changes in vision that are usually described as "blurry vision"; interestingly, sudden improvement in therapy can transiently make things worse. But sooner or later, as the blood sugar levels stabilize, the vision usually returns to where it was before.

The reason that high sugar levels influence vision is related to changes in the lens of the eye, and have nothing to do with the complication called diabetic retinopathy.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes and Complications