From Louisville, Kentucky, USA:

I am nearly 70 and have been diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes about 18 months ago. The pills I'm taking seem (Glucophage) to keep me "in control," since my Hemoglobin A1c values have been holding at 6.5-6.6. Occasionally, I am bothered by what I believe is referred to as "dawn phenomenon" when I wake up about 3 A.M. to 4 A.M. with a night sweat, at times very heavy, with sweating primarily on the upper torso and head. I speculate that my system must be demanding glucose (hypoglycemia?) and my liver is responding with a release of glycogen. The end result is that I have a fasting glucose value of 140 to 165 in the morning at say, 8:00 A.M. Have you any suggestions as to how this may be controlled? Would a small snack at bedtime be a step in the right direction?

I have no problem receiving comments from others experiencing a similar problem.

You haven't stated if you've checked your blood sugar at 3 A.M. when sweating!

If you have, and it's low, you've got to change something: talk to your doc about increasing your evening snack, or switching to more protein at bedtime (Carb wouldn't last long enough). Your diabetes pill (Glucophage/metformin) is unlikely to cause low sugars, but your doctor would have to help you decide what to try next.

If you have, and it's normal, the problem is not the diabetes.