From Massachusetts, USA:

I was reading over your responses, and there was a question about timing of blood sugar readings. You do not recommend checking blood sugars for type 1 diabetics after meals. But what about type 2? I ask my type 2's to check their blood sugars 2-3 hours after a meal because then they can get a better idea of which foods (and how much) affect them. Is this not a good idea?

Also, with Type 1A, high blood sugar after a meal would indicate a possible need to change insulin, yes? Or to change diet? Why not check after a meal? (Especially between lunch and dinner, when there is a long stretch of time that they may not be eating, which, of course we wouldn't recommend!)

The times of blood glucose checks are really flexible depending on the willingness of the individual to check blood sugars. At our program, most of the time if a patient is on NPH and Regular twice a day we recommend before meals and at bedtime. If they are on Ultralente and Regular or Humalog we recommend before meals and 2 hours after meals. One of our doctors recommends only the 2 hour post meal checks.

Some individuals will only check once or twice a day (we deal mostly with children and teens, who are not always as interested in the numbers as we are!). The Type 2 children we get are not always willing to test more than one or two times a day and since our main goal is usually weight loss, we do not get into the specifics of what foods affect the blood sugar. I can see an adult might be more interested in that aspect. I guess what I am saying is we individualize the testing patterns just as we individualize the treatment patterns.