I'm in need of a monitor to regulate my diabetes. I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic and I'm not sure what kind of a monitor to get. Can you help me in getting a monitor for little or no cost? A friend told me that there are some companies that help patients get a monitor free because they are costly and monitoring glucose is so important in regulating diabetes.

You're correct, that it will be necessary to get a blood glucose meter (also called a monitor) to keep track of your blood sugar levels.

I'd suggest you talk to a diabetes nurse educator about which meter is "best" for you. The meters have different features, and you might find that one meter has a specific feature that would be very helpful for your situation. Your diabetes nurse educator will be aware of rebates, giveaways, and other programs that are available from the manufacturers. It's quite likely that the cost of the meter itself will be either very steeply discounted, or actually free.

By the way, the strips that are used in the meters are unlikely to be giveaways; and the costs of the different brands of strips are about the same from brand to brand.