Question:

From Carbondale, Colorado, USA:

I am a 28 year old who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago. I have read about the honeymoon phase and am wondering when it occurs. My total insulin dosage hasn't changed since my diagnosis, although I have changed the timing of my injections (I now do four injections per day). Is it possible that I "missed" the honeymoon?

Answer:

Quite probably, as it is typical of the adult type 1 diabetes with a long preclinical phase, your immune system could have been starting the destruction of your beta cells long before the clinical diagnosis three months ago, and therefore you don't have now enough living beta cells to support any endogenous production of insulin as it is found in the honeymoon phase.

(You can find a lot of previous questions and answers on this topic at this website.)

Posted to Honeymoon