Question:

From Maine, USA:

My son is age 5, diagnosed at 12 months. We are flying to the west coast in the summer. I read the posting from a family traveling across an enormous number of time zones, and for over 24 hours, and wondered if the protocol would be a bit simpler and less involved for only 3 hours time change and only 5-7 hours travel time. Of course, I am taking the advice to have a good amount of food with us in the event of on-the-runway delays.

Answer:

When traveling east to west, more time is "added" which means a person may require an extra injection of short-acting insulin in order to get on the new time schedule. When coming back, you may want to decrease the amount of intermediate-acting insulin. Check with your doctor or diabetes educator for specific amounts according to your child's dose. Happy Traveling!

JW

Posted to Traveling