Question:

From Canton, Ohio, USA:

My 67 year old mother has had type 2 for many years. Is it true that the sulfonylurea pills stop working and you then must start injections? Before putting her on injections, shouldn't a glucose tolerance test be repeated? My mother is non-compliant with diet and exercise. She hasn't had a tolerance test since she was diagnosed many years ago.

Answer:

There's no reason to repeat glucose tolerance testing in people who have already been diagnosed with diabetes.

It's sometimes true that people with Type 2 diabetes have progressive failure of their beta cells' capability to manufacture insulin, and that the pills would gradually become less effective, to the point where insulin injections might be necessary to control the blood sugar levels.

However, in your mom's case, I must wonder if her lifestyle choices, not to adhere to a program of meal planning and exercise, is more likely the reason that her pill's not working. If she hasn't had the opportunity to discuss her situation with a diabetes team, it would be an excellent idea (if you can talk her into it!)

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes