From Omaha, Nebraska, USA:

In the case of a diabetic who is "brittle," do you think an insulin pump is appropriate? I am going to marry this person and want to understand and be able to help her. I am 58 and she is 46. She is a nurse and due to the 12 hour shifts she has not so good eating habits and it puts pressure both emotionally and physically.

Using an insulin pump might be a "tool" that could help your friend. An insulin pump, however, is not a panacea, and will only succeed if the person wearing it is willing to take a lot of responsibility for diabetes self-management.

It means checking blood sugars every two-four hours for at least a week, to determine the right basal rates, then four or more times daily indefinitely. Additionally, she'll need to review her meal plan with a dietitian; it needs to be consistent in the early stages on the pump, to figure out insulin-carbohydrate ratios for her boluses.

Insulin pumps can be likened to sports cars: their ability to get you there safely is based upon the driver's ability, not the machine. Should she decide to investigate this treatment option, it is essential that she work with a diabetes team that is familiar with pump therapy.

Posted to Insulin Pumps