Question:

From Michigan, USA:

Could you please tell me where I can find specific American Diabetes Association diet recommendations for my 9 year old son, who has had diabetes since 15 months?

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association publishes recommendations for treatment of people with diabetes each year. The last supplement came out in January 1998. These recommendations are for all ages and types of diabetes and get fairly technical so a better idea may be to contact your local ADA office for help. If you are seen by a diabetes team, the dietitian in that team would be able to help you. General guidelines are to maintain a diet that is about 50-60% carbohydrate, 10-20% protein and 30% or less fat. Children should have enough calories to grow and develop normally and the times of meals and snacks should be developed according to calorie needs and the type of insulin regimen the child is on. Since children grow so fast, it is important that they be assessed by a dietitian at regular intervals to see that their needs are being met.

JM