From Michigan, USA:

I'm a Catholic, married, type 1 diabetic female diagnosed at age 12. I experienced three miscarriages at age 21. I am now 27, sexually active, but can not use any form of contraception because of my faith. (I try to use Natural Family Planning.) My cycles have been irregular for the last two years and it makes it difficult to assess my fertile days. Yeast infections seem to interfere with the way my cervical mucous appears also. I've been sexually active for the last two-and-a-half years and have not become pregnant. Should I just assume I'm infertile? Or should I always aim for "very tight control" of my blood sugars just in case I become pregnant? Or should I give up intimate relations if I'm not in excellent control of diabetes? I would really hate to experience another miscarriage because of poor control at the start of pregnancy. (My obstetrician told me the miscarriages were probably a result of having uncontrolled diabetes.)

Never assume you are infertile. Given your situation, I would suggest that you aim for as good a control of your blood sugars as possible, given that you might conceive at any time. It is possible that your miscarriages have been a result of poor glucose control, but there are many other causes as well. Since it has been over a year since your last conception, you may want to consider consultation with an infertility specialist. I do not recommend stopping sexual activity unless it is just during the time for you to achieve good glucose control.

Posted to Family Planning