From Mason City, Iowa, USA:

My 4 1/2 year old daughter will be starting preschool in 1 week. She has had diabetes since she was 2. The preschool teachers tell us they can't do blood test or administer glucagon because they're not licensed (or something like that). We know our rights when she gets to school, however, this is a privately owned preschool. Do our rights apply the same as school, or are they right? She will be there 2 mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours, and we are concerned. I have a pager and work a few blocks away, but I still think they should have more responsibility.

In August 1996, KinderCare, a nation-wide daycare chain, settled a lawsuit brought against them by a grandmother whose grandchild was denied care by a KinderCare center in Ohio. In the settlement, KinderCare agreed to perform finger-stick blood tests on kids with diabetes. Though this legal action applied only to KinderCare, by implication, all daycare centers in the United States which are governed by the Americans with Disabilities Act must act accordingly.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare