From Ontario, Canada:

I recently read that retinopathy generally appears in Type 1 diabetics before age 30. I am 28, have been diabetic for 25 years. My ophthalmologist says that I have minimal, if any, signs of retinopathy. As I am almost 30, can I take this as a sign that I won't have this particular complication to worry about? Hope so!

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but I don't know of any information that would support what you recently read. It is frequently said that retinopathy rarely shows up in the first few years after diagnosis, and is common after 20 years of having had diabetes; but I'm unaware of any relationship to having 30 years of age (rather than 30 years of diabetes).

Congratulations on 25 years with only minimal retinopathy. I'd advise you to continue to work to control your blood sugars to help delay or prevent further eye problems or other complications of diabetes.