From Regina, Saskatoon, Canada:

I am 21 years old and have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed 6 months ago. I am having trouble with frequent highs and lows. I have asked my doctor for help, but he has made it clear that he does not have time to answer my questions. How can I have better control of my sugars?

If what you say is true, and he hasn't advised getting a diabetes nurse educator and dietitian to help answer your questions, I would have to suggest you find a new doctor. See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some other ideas to help you locate a new doc.

In the meantime, contact your local hospital and arrange to talk to a diabetes nurse educator and a dietitian to start finding out ways to control the blood sugar and to answer your questions. You might also go back to your present doctor, and tell him you're very dissatisfied (and show him our comments).