Question:

From America On-Line:

My daughter is 12 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 7 years old. We have managed her diet with calorie counting since the beginning. I am interested in carbohydrate counting, since it offers more creative ideas in menu planning. How do I get started?

Answer:

Ask your medical team to refer you to a registered dietitian (RD) who can help you with carbohydrate counting. If you find an RD who is also a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator), that is probably best since he/she should be very knowledgeable about carbohydrate counting and working with insulin doses. You will find a tremendous amount of flexibility with carb counting, so I am glad you are looking at this. If you can not find anyone, the American Diabetes Association has booklets on carb counting. Their 1-800 number is 800-232-3472.

LSF