Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Sep 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am a 21 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for 8 years. I am currently on two injections a day, and I would like to know what the benefits and drawbacks would be to going to three injections a day. (30 Sep 1998)

2. Could diabetes be prevented by following a balanced diet? (30 Sep 1998)

3. Can a moderate level of ketones cause nephropathy? In other words, are ketones nephrotoxic? (30 Sep 1998)

4. I am 31 years old and my son is three and has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for 1 year now. I am pregnant again and am wondering of the chances of this baby of having diabetes also. (30 Sep 1998)

5. I recently had an epidural steroid injection, and noticed in the following days a substantial increase in my blood sugar levels. Do you have any information on how long the effect usually lasts? (30 Sep 1998)

6. I'm the father of 3 children, one of them is a 18 year old girl with type 1 diabetes mellitus since 1 year and an half. I'm spending all my life scared about diabetes and its complications and I really need to be helped to find out if something can beat the disease. (30 Sep 1998)

7. Our son was diagnosed one year ago. At the time of diagnosis, he was shown to be negative for both GAD and Islet Cell Antibodies. Could there be an alternative diagnosis of his condition? (30 Sep 1998)

8. Our 6 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, based on the following tests: 4-hour GTT with results 77 mg/dL fasting, 128 mg/dL at half hour, 79 mg/dL at one hour. Aren't the numbers on the GTT too high to be hypoglycemia? (30 Sep 1998)

9. I know you have been asked about "Niacinamide" previously. Recently our JDF office received a call about research showing thing to be close to a cure. What is the "real" latest information about nicotinamide? (30 Sep 1998)

10. I'm 15 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for six years. Recently I have found that I feel as though I'm not as good as people without diabetes. Is there any reason why I just started feeling this way? (30 Sep 1998)

11. My son is almost 15 years old and has been a diabetic for 4 years. He was a bedwetter before the onset of diabetes and he still has had no relief. We have tried several things previous to the diabetes but nothing worked. Is there anything that can help us overcome this? (30 Sep 1998)

12. I am on Humalog and NPH. I change the site for each injection. Recently I have been bruising at the injection sites as well as other places on my body. Is the bruising related to diabetes? (30 Sep 1998)

13. I am 12 years old, and I am interested in an insulin pump because my blood glucoses have been 200-300+ at breakfast in the morning, and 150-250 for dinner. (30 Sep 1998)

14. I want to know which are the top five facilities are in the U.S. that specialize and treat diabetes in children and adolescents. Do you know if they prescribe insulin pumps? (30 Sep 1998)

15. I am looking for information to provide a teacher on how much carbohydrates student should eat before exercise (gym class) depending on what blood glucose is and how long (1 hour class) and strenuous exercise (run mile) will be. (30 Sep 1998)

16. I'm 13 years old and I'm looking for a pump. I go to a pediatric endocrinology program and they're not ready for the pump yet. I was wondering if you could tell me were I could go for a pump. (29 Sep 1998)

17. My 6-year-old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed about 15 months ago. No matter what we do she seems to run high in the morning. If have heard mention of Dawns Syndrome. Can you please explain this to me? (29 Sep 1998)

18. How will donating blood twice, 56 days apart, affect a hemoglobin A1C drawn every 90 days? (29 Sep 1998)

19. I am 29 years old and have been Type 1 for 23 years. Today the doctor prescribed Prandin (normally for Type 2). She said it is a new treatment for Type 1's and should help maintain control. Is it? (29 Sep 1998)

20. I have a son who is 16 months old; his grandmother has Type 2 diabetes. My son is constantly thirsty. My mother thinks he might have diabetes. Could it be passed down? Should I have him tested? (29 Sep 1998)

21. I have a 17 year old brother-in-law with diabetes. What foods can he have? He will not answer my questions in reference to the foods he can or cannot have. (29 Sep 1998)

22. What herbs and or vitamins can help the effects of diabetes? (29 Sep 1998)

23. My daughter has been a type 1 diabetic for 2 years. She has just started middle school and was told all testing must be done in the office. I am very concerned about this as her walk to the office is quite a distance. (29 Sep 1998)

24. Giving fibrous foods may often bore a child. Can you give me some alternate dishes other than fruits to turn the child on? (27 Sep 1998)

25. For the last 3 mornings in a row, my son who is 34, Type 1, diabetic since he was 13, has awaken with some sort of paralysis on his left side. He was unable to move and could barely talk. Any ideas why he had the paralysis? (27 Sep 1998)

26. Our 17 month old daughter, diagnosed 3 weeks ago, was just prescribed an antibiotic for an ear infection. Since it is quite sweet, we're assuming it has a lot of sugar. How can we figure out what's in it and/or how many carbs are in it? (27 Sep 1998)

27. Dr. Whitaker [Julian M. Whitaker, author of the book Reversing Diabetes] says that vanadyl sulfate will permanently reduce blood sugar levels and will even reverse diabetes. I would appreciate your comments. (26 Sep 1998)

28. I have a friend with Type 1. I am searching for any stories, history, etc. of individuals who have healed completely from diabetes. Are there any cases of this? Have there been any 'miraculous' healing cases? (26 Sep 1998)

29. I am a 13 year old female that has always been tired all the time and I get dizzy spells and would sometimes be in a daze. I would feel better after I ate. How serious is hypoglycemia and does it sound like I have it? (26 Sep 1998)

30. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed 8 months ago. Her highest blood sugar of the day is usually just before her dinner shot. Approximately 2 to 3 hours after dinner she usually has a bad stomachache. (26 Sep 1998)

31. I recently cracked a rib while doing stretching exercises. It was such a slight twist that did the damage and though it was not a serious break, it prompted this query: Are type 1 diabetics more susceptible to bone breaks? (24 Sep 1998)

32. How does one find a reliable diabetes dietitian? (24 Sep 1998)

33. My son was diagnosed with diabetes in November 1996. In May, 1995, he had severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns. He was given morphine at the hospital. Could this accident or the drug given trigger his diabetes? (24 Sep 1998)

34. I am looking for diabetic jams recipes; where can I get information? (24 Sep 1998)

35. My 9 year old nephew has diabetes. I am pregnant and wondering if preservation of the core cells (in my placenta) could be potentially helpful for him or general diabetic research. (24 Sep 1998)

36. I have a 16 year female daughter with type 1 diabetes. What is the effects of depo-provera shots to a diabetic? (24 Sep 1998)

37. My husband is 23 and has had type 1 diabetes for many years. I recently heard about how type 1 patients are also missing another hormone and there are research studies where they are giving it to patients and the patients are responding with better mood and much more energy. (24 Sep 1998)

38. My mother says that diabetics cannot drink alcoholic beverages. Now I was just wanting to know if this was true or false. I don't mean to go out and get drunk but on special occasions? (24 Sep 1998)

39. I have a diabetic daughter who is thirteen; this is her second year with this disease. A major concern that I have is that she is very hyper! How will her mood swings at this age affect her condition? (24 Sep 1998)

40. My father has type 2 diabetes and Hepatitis C. He is currently taking Glucophage, and has tried Glucotrol. I recently read that both of these can be harmful to the liver of people that have liver disease. Are there any prescription drugs for type 2 diabetes that aren't harmful to the liver? (24 Sep 1998)

41. I am caring for a pre-term child, 32 weeks, female, with persistent hyperglycemia (neonatal diabetes). She is now 3 weeks old. She isn't using drugs other than insulin. What is the best treatment? (21 Sep 1998)

42. I'm a 24 year old female, newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic 2 months ago. I'm thinking of substituting my breakfast and dinner with a proper amount of fruits. The problem is that in Egypt we do not have nutritionists nor food educators to ask. (21 Sep 1998)

43. My brother is a 47 year old who is down to 80 pounds due to ketones and is nothing but bones. He is suffering from depression and is now spitting up blood has no energy and was diagnosed last year. He has given up and we can't get the ketones in control. (21 Sep 1998)

44. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 25 months of age. He is now 5 years and 1 month. His eye exam recently showed dilated retinal blood vessels and increased tortuosity. Our doctor says that this is very unusual in a child his age and is seen before diabetic retinopathy. (21 Sep 1998)

45. I am 25 year old female who just got out of the intensive care for chronic low potassium. My endocrinologist said that the high blood glucose level was caused by the low potassium. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between potassium and glucose level. (18 Sep 1998)

46. Are there already insulin "implants"? In other words, are there little apparatuses (with a chip inside) which are transplanted into your body and which automatically regulate your insulin requirement? (18 Sep 1998)

47. For the past six years or so I have been in poor control. Recently I have been working to achieve better control. Since then I have developed several neuropathies. Could these conditions have been brought on by my improved blood glucose control? (17 Sep 1998)

48. My son was diagnosed two months ago and is six years old. We are from the US reside in Indonesia. He was diagnosed in the US and has not returned to Indonesia yet. We are trying to make a decision whether to come back or not. (17 Sep 1998)

49. Please explain to me the honeymoon period. I am also wondering what the difference between a pediatric endocrinologist and a doctor who is a Diabetic Specialist. (17 Sep 1998)

50. My 17 year old son, who has had diabetes since he was 7 months old, wants a tattoo. I heard somewhere that the dyes travel through the kidneys. Is there any danger of damage to the kidneys of a diabetic person from a tattoo? (17 Sep 1998)

51. My interest is in a device that automates his blood sugar levels (noninvasive sensor) for a "glucometer" married to an insulin pump. Has there even been such an attempt to make this product available? (16 Sep 1998)

52. My daughter, age 14, was diagnosed a year ago with type 1 diabetes. We were told when she was diagnosed that stress would cause her blood glucose levels to increase. Instead stress seems to lower them. (16 Sep 1998)

53. Have you ever done any research on a certain type of blood sugar monitor? The one I am questioning is called AccuCheck Advantage. I was wondering about the accuracy of it or if it has had any problems. (15 Sep 1998)

54. We live downwind from two major dioxin sources. I also just learned that our small community of about 20,000 has an extremely high rate of diabetes. Could dioxin be a contributing cause to our high rate of diabetes? (15 Sep 1998)

55. I am interested in the pump, but wondered when the new pumps that read blood sugars were coming out. I had heard within six months. (15 Sep 1998)

56. I have type 1, and am age 23, diagnosed 2 years ago. I am looking for more information regarding other hormone deficiencies, specifically C-peptide, amylin, and pregnenolone. (15 Sep 1998)

57. My four year old grandson was diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. He has had three fasting blood sugars between 120-130. Blood and urine tests showed ketones. The ketones tell me he has been very high for a prolonged period. Any suggestions? (15 Sep 1998)

58. My mom is suffering from diabetes and blood pressure for the last 10 years in India. Would you be able to recommend equipment which will help her to determine her sugar level and blood pressure at home rather then going to the hospital? (15 Sep 1998)

59. Are there any ways to help pay for the pump? I am fighting with the insurance companies and not getting very far. (15 Sep 1998)

60. Our 9 year old son has had diabetes for 4 years. Beginning this coming fall, the lunch time at school will be decreased from 1 hour to 1/2 hour. Would a switch to the Humalog be recommended in order for him to be included in this new lunchtime with his peers? (15 Sep 1998)

61. I am 29 years old and 29 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with borderline gestational diabetes (my 3 hour GTT test results were: 87, 190, 166, 109). Any guidance you could give me would be much appreciated. (15 Sep 1998)

62. My younger sister is 28 and has been displaying diabetic symptoms for about 6 months: increased thirst, excessive urination, pins and needles in her hands and feet, accompanied by high blood sugars, of at least 10 mmol/l (180 mg/dl). (15 Sep 1998)

63. What is the proper way to test for hyperglycemia? I took a few tests and my blood sugar levels where between 60-66. I called a doctor and they said it could be controlled by diet. (14 Sep 1998)

64. My daughter, age 5 years, is being referred to an endocrinologist because of high triglyceride levels and continuing gaining weight even when put on a strict diet and exercise. Her levels has been has high as 488. Is something to be concerned about? (14 Sep 1998)

65. My wife (Type 1 diabetic) and I just had a healthy baby girl - 6 pounds, 9 ounces. My wife has been a diabetic since age 9. What are our baby's chances of becoming a diabetic? (14 Sep 1998)

66. I have been asked by a woman who has no access to the Internet a question; I wonder if you could help. She has a child with DIDMOAD or Wolfram's syndrome and wanted to find out as much as possible about potential treatments. (14 Sep 1998)

67. Is it true that my 11 year old son who was diagnosed with Type 1 about seven months ago will be more at risk for other autoimmune diseases? (14 Sep 1998)

68. At the age of 8, I was diagnosed with childhood-onset diabetes. Currently, I am 23 years old. On some days I give large amounts of R and still result with high blood sugars, these days I eat easily under a 1000 calories; what can I do to better my control? (14 Sep 1998)

69. I'm 15 years old have had diabetes for almost 6 years now and would really like to get in much better control. My last A1C was 8.9 which was lower than before. What's the best way to start taking control and to keep that way? (14 Sep 1998)

70. I have had type 1 diabetes for four years. My sugars have been like a roller coaster lately. I have had a cold now for a week and I have not been able to shake it. Do I as a diabetic have a greater chance of having thyroid problems? (14 Sep 1998)

71. I have recently read about Sucralose, a natural sweetener which is supposed to be being used in soft drinks by now. Do you know what soft drink uses this sweetener? (14 Sep 1998)

72. I'm 36, pregnant with my second child, and just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I mentioned to my doctor that I'm having trouble with the diet -- so much protein, so little variety! She said I should get used to it. I was shocked. (14 Sep 1998)

73. I recently saw a newspaper article advising of negative side affects from Propulsid. Is this something safe for a 5 year old to be taking long term? (13 Sep 1998)

74. My daughter, age 12, was put on a carbohydrate plan of a total of 360 total carbohydrates for the day. This is double what she was on. Do all 12 year olds need the same calorie amount and carbohydrate count? (13 Sep 1998)

75. My daughter has had diabetes for almost 8 years now. She is 20 years old and would like to have laser surgery on her eyes to correct her vision. We would like to know if this is safe for people with diabetes. (13 Sep 1998)

76. My 3 year old has had type 1 Diabetes since he was 2 years old. He loves my homemade muffins. The problem is I am not sure of the nutritional facts. Is there a formula or a service I can send my recipes to and find out the nutritional facts? (13 Sep 1998)

77. I am 23 years old. I am 6 foot, 3 inches tall, and weigh 180 pounds. I take 20 units of R and 30 units of NPH in the morning, and 20 units of R and 20 units of NPH at dinnertime. Am I taking proper dosages for my weight? (13 Sep 1998)

78. I am a 38 year old female, Type 1 for 12 years. I have been on intensive therapy for over a year. I am gaining weight like crazy. I am considering going back to conventional treatment because of this weight problem. What advice can you give? (13 Sep 1998)

79. There is some concern about diabetes with my 7 year old daughter. What are good sugar levels? I have a glucose meter and am planning on testing her regularly to get a basic idea so I would like to know. (13 Sep 1998)

80. What are anti-gad antibodies? (13 Sep 1998)

81. I would like to know if there are any articles written about the relationship of brain tumors and Nutrasweet (aspartame). (13 Sep 1998)

82. I just got diabetes a few days ago. Is watermelon okay to eat? When will I need I bigger needle (I'm using 3/10 right now)? (13 Sep 1998)

83. Creatine monohydrate vendors are adding other ingredients to their products that deal with insulin levels and I'm concerned about the health effects related to diabetes. (12 Sep 1998)

84. My son, who is 9 years old, was diagnosed 2 years ago. Right now we are using a SureStep Meter. Is there anything better out there or would you still recommend this for children? (10 Sep 1998)

85. I am 50, Type 2 diagnosed two years ago. I read postings in a newsgroup, and there has been discussion recently, about something called DHEA. Supposedly, it may help with blood glucose control. Can you give any insight? (10 Sep 1998)

86. I have a 6-year-old who becomes hysterical when the A1c blood draw is mentioned. I feel that this is very traumatizing and was discussing with our team the possibility of acquiring the Bayer DCA 2000+. Have any pediatric endocrine teams been able to acquire the new Bayer DCA 2000+? (10 Sep 1998)

87. A couple of weeks ago, there was an advertisement for an international drug for diabetics. This was suppose to be one-time medication, which will stop diabetes. I request you to help me out with the name of this drug. (10 Sep 1998)

88. My almost 5 year old daughter was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Lately she has been very scared about dying. She has nightmares where people tell her that diabetes means you are going to die. It's heartbreaking to hear her so afraid. Any advice? (10 Sep 1998)

89. I would like to know about ointments that speed up the healing process in minor wounds. (9 Sep 1998)

90. My daughter is 5 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at 20 months. She just started kindergarten today and the school is having trouble determining who can legally care for her needs. (9 Sep 1998)

91. Our son is 9. He has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 4. Our trouble with him lately is that he is sneaking food and lying. What kind of discipline, if any, works? (9 Sep 1998)

92. My nine year old son was diagnosed two years ago. He recently suffered a severe nighttime hypoglycemia attack where he woke up disorientated, with a loss of mental alertness lasting around four hours. I was advised by my doctor that a seizure possibly occurred. What effect is this having on his mental functioning both now and in the future? (9 Sep 1998)

93. My little boy is 6 now and was diagnosed when he was 4. I am interested in my little boy getting an insulin pump when he hits the appropriate age but seems to me there would be a greater chance for low blood sugars with one. Is that true? (9 Sep 1998)

94. I have heard a lot about children with diabetes having a sort of grace period for complications before they hit puberty where high blood sugars should not effect complications later in life until their hormones kick in later in life. Is this true? (9 Sep 1998)

95. Can diabetes be controlled by changing the insulin before meals as required, or is a set dose before each meal mandatory? (9 Sep 1998)

96. I have a two year old daughter who was diagnosed at the age of 14 months. We are having trouble getting her to eat when she needs to and she doesn't seem to want to eat enough. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat? (9 Sep 1998)

97. I have a 2 year old grandson that has diabetes type 1. The doctor has ordered us to test his sugar 3 times a day but we don't know what the norms for his age should be. (9 Sep 1998)

98. Most of the time when I am low I have no signs of hypoglycemia. My body seems to rebound and the low blood sugar episode goes undetected. If a body was to go through this rebounding process often is there any adverse affect on one's organs? (9 Sep 1998)

99. What is the difference between child diabetes and adult onset diabetes? (7 Sep 1998)

100. My 16 year old daughter checked her blood sugar with a friend's glucose meter. Her blood sugar was 302. She ate some lunch and then went to dance class. After class, she retested her sugar and it was 123. Does a nondiabetic's blood sugar fluctuate during the day or is this very unusual? (7 Sep 1998)

101. How much should a non-diabetic person's sugar level fluctuate during one day of normal eating? (7 Sep 1998)

102. I was diagnosed with Type 2 at 51. I spent six months on oral agents, then switched to insulin. In your answers to some other questions I noticed a reference to slowly developing type 1. I would like to know more about this. (7 Sep 1998)

103. Can diabetics benefit from the natural herb of chromium picolinate? (7 Sep 1998)

104. My son, age 11, will enter 6th grade in about 2 weeks. I have never supplied his school with insulin, but I would like to do so this year so he can take Humalog if his blood sugar is too high. How long can I realistically expect a vial of open, refrigerated, seldom-used Humalog to last? (7 Sep 1998)

105. Where might I find some stats concerning the accuracy of certain meters? From what my doctors tells me many are not very accurate. Is this true? (7 Sep 1998)

106. Our 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 about seven months ago. Three months later she was diagnosed with an elevated TSH. Three months later, Rheumatoid arthritis. (7 Sep 1998)

107. I am a 13 year old girl and have had type 1 diabetes for 8 years. I don't know any girls my age that live near me that have diabetes. I'd like to meet and become friends with a girl just like me. (7 Sep 1998)

108. When transporting children on a school bus, what should the driver and attendant know and do for a child with diabetes? (7 Sep 1998)

109. My 8 year old niece was giving herself an insulin shot at a restaurant dining table. The diners at the table next to ours made rude comments and gaped at us like we were child abusers. Is it not appropriate for a diabetic to administer the insulin shot at the table? (4 Sep 1998)

110. My 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed. I am doing okay on most of cooking because of nutrition labels, but what about the "old family recipes" that don't have labels? (4 Sep 1998)

111. My niece is 25 months old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes several months ago. We recently discovered that she also has asthma. Any further advice or information you could offer about what happens when children have both disorders would be greatly appreciated. (4 Sep 1998)

112. My daughter is almost three. Her stomach sticks out, kind of round and my mother-in-law is concerned that she may have diabetes. Should I be concerned about diabetes because of her stomach? (4 Sep 1998)

113. Are there any reasons not to use use sweeteners such as aspartame and Nutrasweet? We try not to use them too much, but would like to know if there are side effects of using these products. (4 Sep 1998)

114. My son is 12 years old. His sugar dropped fast and for no apparent reason. We believe this happened when his body failed to digest his lunch. Could this have been a possibility? (4 Sep 1998)

115. My 6 1/2 year old son was diagnosed 3 months ago. Most of the time he is very good at getting the injections, but other times he gets very upset. When we finally do it then he says he won't eat. (4 Sep 1998)

116. I am 25 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since age 12. My first born is almost 4 and was diagnosed with Type 1 a year ago. What are the chances of my second child developing diabetes? (3 Sep 1998)

117. During a routine check-up, my 6-year-old daughter's pediatrician noted that there was sugar in her urine. The pediatrician, after consulting with an endocrinologist, said that because her ketone levels were normal, we shouldn't be concerned. I'm not comfortable with this. (3 Sep 1998)

118. My son is 6 years old. He has not been officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia, however an adult friend seems to think that this is what he suffers from. Please help me figure out if his symptoms are that of a child with hypoglycemia. (3 Sep 1998)

119. When I exercise I get severe aches in the calves and ankles. When I stop the pain goes away, but the more I exercise, the more it hurts. I need to lose weight but every time I try to get serious about exercise the excruciating pain gives way to the exercise. Any suggestions? (3 Sep 1998)

120. My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five and one half years ago. Now, we are suddenly, and for the first time, having serious management problems. She's been in the hospital twice in the last two weeks. Any suggestions? (3 Sep 1998)

121. My daughter is 10 years old. Recently, after recovering from a virus she developed increased thirst and urination. A diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes was made. We are hoping that she has Type 2. (3 Sep 1998)

122. My Type 1 diabetic son is travelling to Japan later this month. What is the incidence of Type 1 in Japan? I am sending extra insulin with him, as I understand when travelling to other countries, the insulin is likely to be different. (2 Sep 1998)

123. I'm a 15 year old female and I've had type 1 diabetes for 2 1/2 years. I never used to have a bad eating habit before I developed diabetes and now I do. (2 Sep 1998)

124. Two months ago, my 27 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1. I'm the one who is so upset: guilt of passing it on, fear of him going into reactions or going blind. I'm so scared. Where do parents of grown children go for help? (2 Sep 1998)

125. Is there any connection between untreated diabetes and impaired mental functioning? Can untreated diabetes cause depression and inability to handle stress? If there is any relationship between dissatisfaction and fluctuating or too high of blood sugar levels? (2 Sep 1998)

126. Is there any other way to take insulin as such by taking pills or using pumps? What is the best treatment for cure of Type 1 diabetes? (2 Sep 1998)

127. Since I was about six or seven, my doctors have constantly been telling me that the cure is only about 5-10 years down the road. Well, that's what they say every year and it seems like the cure isn't getting any closer. Should I have any hope for a cure within the next few years? (2 Sep 1998)

128. Why does lispro seem to stop working when the ambient temperature goes above about 28 degrees Celsius? (2 Sep 1998)

129. My son was diagnosed 6 years ago in 1992. His blood sugars have continued to be less than 100 for the last six years. I would like to know the longest known honeymoon period and if these numbers indicate continued insulin treatment? (2 Sep 1998)

130. I have read your responses on lipoatrophy and lipohypertrophy, but I have additional questions. I would like to know if changing the brand of insulin would make a difference. (2 Sep 1998)

131. My 7 year old son has frequent urination, thirst and hunger. My question is how much is "frequent urination and thirst?" (2 Sep 1998)

132. Our 6 year old has had diabetes since he was 2 and a half. For the last year or so our doctor has been concerned with his growth. Now they want to run more testing that requires an overnight stay in hospital. How important are these tests? (1 Sep 1998)

133. My mother has had diabetes for almost 20 years. My mother currently is working in the retail field. My concern is that she is not keeping the same eating schedule from day to day because of her varying schedule. Are there any laws to help my mom consistently work one schedule? (1 Sep 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts