From Pennsylvania, USA:

My mother has had diabetes for almost 20 years. She has given herself insulin shots twice daily throughout my whole life. My mother has excellent control of her diabetes. She rarely has any problems and has excellent self control. She is very conscientious of what she eats, and she always gets excellent reports from her doctor. My mother currently is working in the retail field. She works 40 hours a week. As you may know, most retail workers do not have an 8 to 5 job. They often can work up until 10:00 one night and only until 5:00 the next. My concern is that she is not keeping the same eating schedule from day to day because of her varying schedule. Are there any laws to help my mom consistently work one schedule so she can continue to keep her diabetes under control, or does she just need to adjust her schedule accordingly? I am concerned that these different eating schedule around her work schedule will harm her health. I don't want this job to hinder the control she currently has of her disease.

I am unaware of any law that would force the company to readjust your mom's work schedule.

I can see two possible solutions to this problem:

1. Your mom's physician could write a letter to the employer, requesting that she be assigned to a non-rotating shift schedule.

2. Your mom could readjust her insulin program to allow her to continue working the present hours. Either using an insulin pump, or a basal-bolus program of shots, should allow her to continue her present assignment.

The actual decision, of course, is between her and her diabetes team.

Posted to Other Social Issues and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections