From Arkansas, USA:

Our 6 year old has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 2 and a half. For the last year or so our doctor has been concerned with his growth. He has had several blood tests to measure growth hormones. Now they want to run more testing that requires an overnight stay in hospital. Our question is this: How important are these tests? And are they painful or worth while for our son to go through? What are we looking at if there is a problem? should we get a second opinion? We feel like this is another money making scheme, and I really would rather not put my son through anything more than he has to deal with everyday.

My immediate reaction would be that you should get a second opinion - not because I think that your doctor is wrong, but because you obviously have a very low opinion of his professionalism. Monitoring of growth is a very important part of diabetes management. Your doctor should be able to show you on a chart why he is concerned. If your son's height is falling on the chart then I would agree with him that this needs investigation.