From Victoria, Australia:

I am a Type 1 on Protaphane(NPH) and Humalog(lispro) as a Basal/Bolus regime 4-7 times/day. My Question is: Why does the lispro seem to stop working when the ambient temperature goes above about 28 degrees Celsius (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit)? If I am, say 12 mmol/l, and I take 14 units, in 2 hours I will still be 12 and I will have to take another 9 units to get down to 5-6 mmol/l.

If you only notice a problem in the hot weather, then do consider how your insulin has been stored and handled. Insulin should be kept at a temperature less than 30 degrees C (86 degrees F), away from sunlight. Don't leave it in the car. How long do you keep your bottles open? Try a new bottle/lot of insulin if you are having problems. Of course, do talk to your diabetes care provider for individual recommendations.

Posted to Insulin Analogs