From Pennsylvania, USA:

Two months ago, my 27 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He inherited from my mother. I grew up being her "nurse" with all the childhood nightmares to go with it. She died 15 years ago.

I am terrified for my son. He is taking it very well and appears to be handling the emotional aspects. I'm the one who is so upset: guilt of passing it on, fear of him going into reactions or going blind. I'm so scared. Where do parents of grown children go for help? He lives 200 miles away, so I can't see him that often. Thanks for being here for us. He came up for a visit last week and I made him your Apple Pie Delight and he loved it.

You sound like any concerned parent of a child with diabetes: he is, after all, still your child even at age 27. I'm certain you know that the management of diabetes is much improved now vs. your mother's era. Yet I do understand your reaction; I have witnessed it many times over the years.

I commend you for wanting to educate yourself about diabetes and for providing a special "treat" for your son's visit. Still, it is his diabetes; you cannot fix it or make it all better in the long run.

Have you asked at your local ADA chapter? There are usually groups for the parents of persons with diabetes, an excellent source of information and support. Please don't allow your fears surrounding your mom's diabetes spill over to your son's diabetes. It will not help him for you to be too fearful.

Be available, allow him to initiate conversations about diabetes, and learn all you can about new treatment options. That is the greatest help you can offer. Be positive, be informed, and be there!

[Editor's comment: I recommend you stop by the Parents Chat Room and talk with the other moms and dads. Though most have younger kids, you'll quickly learn that diabetes doesn't stop our kids, regardless of their age, from living life to its fullest. And as Craig said, diabetes care today is much improved over what it was years ago. JSH]