Question:

From Winter Springs, Florida, USA:

My son is 6 years old. He has not been officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia, however an adult friend seems to think that this is what he suffers from. Please help me figure out if his symptoms are that of a child with hypoglycemia.

The last several months he has been complaining about severe stomach pain. We had him at the doctor, however they could not find anything wrong other than an elevated platelet count(they said that it was not elevated enough to cause any concerns).

The other day we were driving an he started to complain about shaky legs, his stomach, and began having dry heaves. He was completely lethargic. My friend looked closely and noticed that his lips were white, he was ice cold, however he was soaking wet with sweat on his head. She quickly got a drink contain sugar and forced him to drink it within 5 minutes his lips slowly began to regain color, and he started feeling a little better. We continued the drinks and fruit through the day, and he felt fine. I am very grateful to her, however I don't want to jump the gun. Please let me know if this sound like something that would happen with hypoglycemia.

Answer:

It sounds like you need to bring your son to his pediatrician for a complete check up. We've discussed the diagnosis of hypoglycemia extensively in previous questions, but in short, to confirm whether or not these symptoms are due to hypoglycemia or something else unrelated to blood sugar, a blood specimen has to be drawn during the symptoms, properly processed, sent to a laboratory. If low blood sugar is confirmed, a thorough endocrine work-up is indicated.