From Johnstown, Pennyslvania, USA:

During a routine check-up, my 6-year-old daughter's pediatrician noted that there was sugar in her urine, and requested that a 12-hour fasting blood sugar and ketone test be performed. The sugar level test revealed a level of 170 mg/dl, but the pediatrician, after consulting with an endocrinologist, said that because her ketone levels were normal, we shouldn't be concerned. However, she has a history of excessive thirst and hunger (though she is thin), as well as frequent urination, including 1-2 middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom every night and occasional bed-wetting. She is also only in the 30th height percentile for her age.

The pediatrician is recommending that we check her blood sugar level through more fasting tests, approximately every four weeks. In the mean time, he says we need not treat her, not even change her diet. I'm not comfortable with this wait-and-see approach. Should my husband and I be more aggressive with dealing with our daughter's sugar level?

Yes. We can't diagnose over the internet, but a child with a fasting blood glucose of 170 mg/dl, glucose in the urine, and symptoms of diabetes should receive proper evaluation immediately. In the early stage of diabetes, the pancreas is still making insulin, which is why ketones may be negative when diabetes is diagnosed early. As diabetes progresses, without treatment, my concern would be that a child may develop ketoacidosis from lack of evaluation and treatment.