Question:

From Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA:

I am 25 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since age 12. I am a mother of two and am considering if I can have more children or not. My first born is almost 4 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago. My second seems to be healthy for now. What are the chances of my second child (or if we have any more children) developing diabetes (either type)?

Answer:

It is difficult to predict the risk of diabetes in children of diabetic mothers, since there are so many factors involved in the development of this disease. This risk is increased in your situation, but not an absolute. If your diabetes is under good control, a future pregnancy should be manageable.

Additional comments from The Editor:

See The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes. Also, you may wish to consider enrolling your non-diabetic child in the Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1, a study that seeks to determine if Type 1 diabetes can be prevented.

JSH

Posted to Genetics and Heredity