Question:

From New York, USA:

My 6 1/2 year old son was diagnosed 3 months ago with type 1. Most of the time he is very good at getting the injections, but other times he gets very upset and says he doesn't want to do it. When we finally do it then he says he won't eat. How should we deal with this?

Answer:

What your child is going through is quite common. Children at this age require attention, and they want it even if it's in a "bad" way. In other words, when he fights his injections, or won't eat, he has your complete and undivided attention: even if it is in a tense situation.

Some suggestions. First, the shots must be given! Make sure he understands that this is not an option, no matter how much of a fuss he puts up. Second, ignore it when he won't eat. If he goes unconscious from hypoglycemia, use glucagon. Another thing that might help is that since his diabetes is so new, he probably feels like this is all you pay attention to. Try to set aside about a half an hour a day where your whole world is focused on him. No mention of food, shots, blood sugars, or anything to do with diabetes. This might be reading a book together or something like that. Just make sure that diabetes is not involved at all.

JW

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

More ideas: use points on a calendar and then have those add up to some reward when he has done well with shots for a week. I think a movie or favorite game might be a good incentive. Another thought is if Humalog is used, it can be given after the meal when you see what is or is not eaten. This lots of times takes some of the power away from him. Lastly, are there parent support groups in your area?

LSF

[Editor's comment: I second the recommendation to use Humalog. Injecting after meals based on food consumed removes both the power of eating as a manipulative tool and the stress you feel worrying about hypoglycemia. JSH]