Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed. I have 3 other children and have always baked a lot for my family. I am doing okay on most of cooking because of nutrition labels, but what about the "old family recipes" that don't have labels? Sometimes they don't have recipes. We are counting carbs but I don't know how if I'm cooking or baking from scratch.

Answer:

Recipes are a combination of foods that have labels. You will need to keep track of the total amount of carbohydrate (and protein and fat if you are on an exchange system). For instance, a cup of flour has 100 grams of carbohydrate in it or 6.5 carbs and a cup of sugar has 200 grams of carbohydrate in it or 13 carbs. When all the ingredients are listed with their amount and the number of carbohydrates, you total the amounts and divide the total by the number of servings the recipe yields in order to determine how to count the serving in your meal plan.

This sounds confusing and it is somewhat. If you are working with a diabetes team or you have one in your area, ask the dietitian to help you with this. I am not aware of any printed material on recipe calculation. We have developed one of our own at the program where I work, but I have not seen one in print for the general public.

JM

Additional comments from The Editor:

There are several computerized meal planning tools that allow you to enter a recipe and which then compute the nutritional value of each serving, including carbohydrates.

JSH