From Simi Valley, California, USA:

I am a 13 year old girl and have had type 1 diabetes for 8 years. I don't know any girls my age that live near me that have Type 1 diabetes. I'd like to meet and become friends with a girl just like me. How would I go about doing this?

Have you ever been to diabetes camp? There are camps all over the place for people with diabetes and it is fun to meet other people there. You can also call the American Diabetes Association. They can get you information about local support groups, camps, etc. The ADA puts out a magazine called Diabetes Forecast. Part of this magazine is a kids section and a place where you can send in an ad for a "pen pal:" you tell about yourself and what kind of pen pal you'd like to hear from. In your case you could request some other 13 year old girls, and prefer that they live near your area.

Additional comments from The Editor:

Within Children with Diabetes is a very active chat room for teens. There are usually kids there each evening (US time). You'll be able to meet other kids with diabetes, though they may live anywhere in the world.