Question:

From Gainesville, Florida:

I am a 39 year old diabetic male. I have had diabetes for 18 years. Based on my A1c's and my eye exams I am in excellent control with no signs of complications. My question refers to rebounding and your body's ability to produce sugar to offset hypoglycemia.

Most of the time when I am low I have no signs of hypoglycemia. My body seems to rebound and the low blood sugar episode goes undetected. I am making this assumption because I have tested myself and found my blood sugar to be 45 and had no symptoms of low blood sugar.

My question is: If a body was to go through this rebounding process often is there any adverse affect on one's organs with having to produce or convert stored fat into sugar? Also, after rebounding blood sugar levels typically go higher; are these high blood sugars as dangerous as high blood sugars you get after eating? It seems that when I am running high after rebounding that my blood sugar goes down quicker than when my blood sugar is high after overeating.

Answer:

Many times after having diabetes for long periods of time, a condition called hypoglycemia unawareness develops. When this happens, a person's body does not clue him in to low blood sugars by giving him symptoms like being shaky, sweaty, etc. In a case like this, more monitoring is the key, and if events occur like passing out from hypoglycemia occur with no warning, maybe setting target ranges for blood sugars that are not as close to euglycemia should be done.

JW

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

I am unaware of any specific information that says that the high sugar which occurs when rebounding out of a low sugar are more (or less) dangerous than other high sugars. But clearly, having repeated low sugar episodes without warning (hypoglycemic unawareness) is dangerous, and should be discussed with your diabetes team. There is a theory that if someone with hypoglycemic unawareness reduces their insulin to deliberately let the blood sugar run high for several weeks, that the body may again regain the capacity to sense the low sugars later.

WWQ