Question:

From Spearfish, South Dakota:

My little boy is 6 now and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was 4. He has been fairly easy to control and has grown incredibly. Actually, he looks like the picture of health. I am interested in my little boy getting an insulin pump when he hits the appropriate age but seems to me there would be a greater chance for low blood sugars with one. Is that true?

Answer:

Please see information at this website on pumps, as well as previously answered questions about pumps. You will find varying opinions. I feel that only you and your child and diabetes care provider can make such a personal decision.

In answer to your question about lows, many people on pumps find that the pump has improved their problem with lows!

LM

[Editor's comment: You may also wish to chat with other parents in the Parents or Pump Users chat rooms. JSH]

Posted to Insulin Pumps