From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Creatine monohydrate vendors are adding other ingredients to their products that deal with insulin levels and I'm concerned about the health effects related to diabetes. Below is an example of such products. Please comment.

Description: This new product contains the university-tested and proven creatine monohydrate with carbohydrate in a high-glycemic index formula, that also contains Taurine, L-Arginine, and Sodium and Potassium Phosphates. The inventors of this formula created it after discovering that creatine uptake may be substantially improved if you could "spike" insulin levels at the same time you consume creatine. When you take Creatine HP, your body releases insulin at the same time it is absorbing creatine. The addition of other "insulin mimicking" agents, such as the amino acid Taurine, as well as Sodium and Potassium Phosphates, further enhances the "uptake" of creatine by the muscle. This new product formula provides the best utilization of creatine supplementation with maximum muscle and weight gain benefits.

So far as I can tell none of the ingredients of what you might call 'Creatine Plus' would have any adverse effect on someone with diabetes. I should add that I could find no evidence that it would be of benefit either, although of course there is some documentation that creatine can modestly enhance performance for short term intense energy demands. My impression of the mixture was that it was more a theoretical concept than one that had been validated in practice. The phosphate was presumably added to facilitate the formation of creatine phosphate which is a key component in the transformation of glucose and oxygen to energy. I am not sure why Taurine was included, probably as a source of -SH or sulfhydryl groups to combine with Coenzyme A, another facilitator of the energy chain. Arginine is an amino acid that stimulates insulin release and is therefore not applicable in Type 1 Diabetes.

If I sound doubtful of the scientific merits of these sort of supplements and others like gymsema or chromium picolinate it is because I don't feel they can really match orthodox medication. At the same time, many people with chronic health problems are disturbed by what they see as some loss of control when they accept conventional doctor driven medication. The use of alternative remedies may do a great deal to offset the 'loss of control' syndrome. In diabetes of course, a good multidisciplinary team can do a very great deal to make diabetic people feel responsible for their own good control.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations