Question:

From Dover, New Hampshire, USA:

There is some concern about diabetes with my 7 year old daughter. What are good sugar levels? I have a glucose meter and am planning on testing her regularly to get a basic idea so I would like to know.

Answer:

First of all you must get "good" and "bad" out of the picture. They are numbers without "moral" value.

It is impossible to manage diabetes so that all values are within the target range or "good". I tell patients I am happy if the majority and very very happy when 2/3 are there.

Duration of diabetes and time of day are important. Early in diabetes when the pancreas is still helping, numbers closer to non-diabetic values are easier and safer to obtain. After a few months to years when insulin dose approaches replacement, then it is harder and more dangerous to try to keep values too close to normal.

The DCCT had an average blood glucose of over 150. I set targets for 7 year olds to be 100-180.