Question:

From Newfoundland, Canada:

I am a 38 year old female, Type 1 for 12 years now. I have been on intensive therapy for over a year now. I exercise every day and am half decent at my diet. I am gaining weight like crazy. I am considering going back to conventional treatment because of this weight problem. What advice can you give? I am only 4 foot 11 inches, and now weigh 140 pounds. Help!

Answer:

When someone, either healthy or diabetic, gains weight his or her caloric intake is most of the time above his metabolic needs. I am not aware of your daily insulin dosage but I can tell you that intensive insulin therapy has been described to cause a modest weight gain particularly in adolescent girls and young women just because switching from conventional to intensive regimen is often accompanied by an increase in food intake as well as total insulin dosage necessary to match the new "free" diet.

If your doctor hasn't checked your thyroid gland's function yet, I'd suggest you to ask your doctor for thyroid autoantibodies and TSH. If they are normal, then try to arrange a visit with a dietitian who is familiar with the care of diabetic patients.

Posted to Daily Care and Meal Planning, Food and Diet