From Wisconsin, USA:

My 3 year old has had type 1 Diabetes since he was 2 years old. We struggle with finding breakfast food that he will eat. He loves my homemade muffins. The problem is I am not sure of the nutritional facts. Is there a formula or a service I can send my recipes to and find out the nutritional facts like the carbohydrate count?

My advice is to buy a book that gives you the carbohydrate content of many foods. There are many to choose from. The American Diabetes Association has just published a new one. With this information you can calculate the amount of carbohydrate in your recipe and divide the total by the number of servings the recipe makes to arrive at the number of carbs per serving. You may want to check with your dietitian in the health care team to see if she has any information to help you.

Additional comments from The Editor:

If you have a personal computer, there are several excellent computerized meal planning software tools that allow you to enter a recipe and which then compute the nutritional value.