Question:

From Colorado, USA:

My daughter has had diabetes for almost 8 years now. She is 20 years old and would like to have laser surgery on her eyes to correct her vision. We would like to know if this is safe for people with diabetes. She has her eyes checked all the time and has never had a problem. Her HA1c is 6.8 and she stays about there. Can you give us an opinion?

Answer:

I assume that you are talking about your daughter having laser surgery only for correction of vision, and not for treatment of diabetic retinopathy. I am unaware of any problems that would prohibit a person with diabetes from having this surgery done. If she has any concerns whatsoever, she should discuss them with both her eye doctor and her endocrinologist.

See Surgery Pre-Op Advice for some recommendations for any patient who is planning to have any kind of surgery soon.

WWQ