Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My daughter, age 12, diagnosed at age 3, was put on a carbohydrate plan of a total of 360 total carbohydrates for the day. This is double what she was on, and her weight has always been fine according to her doctor. She is 5 foot, 1 inch tall, and weighs 94 pounds. She looked in a book and said this is what she should have for her age. We are all thin and small boned in our family. Do all 12 year olds need the same calorie amount and carbohydrate count?

Answer:

I do not know how the person evaluating your daughter calculated the amount of carbohydrate, but decisions like this should also consider the normal intake and growth pattern of the child. If you feel this is not the correct amount of carbohydrate for your daughter, I suggest you ask the dietitian to visit with you again and ask for what you need. I usually start out with about 50% of the calories coming from carbohydrate - if that were the case here, the calories would be a little above what one might normally expect a 12 year old to eat, unless she is very active.

There are so many things to look at when deciding on a number for calories/carbohydrate. I am not sure if your health care team thought your daughter should gain a little weight or if they had another thought in mind.

JM